Tuesday, 11 September 2007

Amalgamation: For or Against?

This exchange with a member from Auckland raises important issues about my position on amalgamation, so I have copied it from the comments section into its own separate thread. I appreciate members taking the time to raise issues with me on this blog and always welcome more questions and comments.

Mike Hanne, U of Auckland said...

I favour amalgmation because it will create a single, stronger union voice in the tertiary sector and reduce duplication of effort. I want to vote for a presidential candidate, who unequivocally supports amalgamation. Maureen Montgomery clearly does. Before I make my choice, I want to know if David supports amalgamation or, as his answer to 'Anonymous' might be read, he doesn't.


Dr David Small said...

Thank you for your post, Mike. Your declaration that you will only support a Presidential candidate who ‘unequivocally supports amalgamation’ helps to illustrate my sense of unease about this issue. I have had messages from other members who vow that they will leave the union if the amalgamation goes ahead. These passionately held and mutually exclusive positions are occurring in a context where members are being lobbied hard by the leaders of our union to vote yes to the amalgamation.

We entered this amalgamation discussion from a position of strength. And I do not believe that the interests of AUS members will be imperilled by either a yes or a no vote. We do not need to amalgamate to continue to be a strong and effective union. If we do amalgamate, we can devise ways to be as strong or stronger with our newly-merged members.

Legitimate Arguments

Unlike some issues, I think that there are entirely legitimate reasons for people to vote yes or no to amalgamation. On the yes side, I think that the arrival of a large number of ASTE members in universities through College of Education mergers and AUT removed an institutional distinction which was the historical basis for them being in a separate union. If AUS simply poached those members, it would cripple ASTE and severely undermine the strength of the tertiary unions so there is a logic of logistics and efficiency to amalgamation. And duplication is wasteful of scarce resources.

On the no side, unlike some of my academic colleagues, I believe the greatest risk for existing AUS members is to general staff. Through the tripartite talks, the government has made the unprecedented step of providing direct additional funding to university salaries. This has been primarily based on the compelling argument about the need for academic salaries to be internationally competitive, but it has also benefited general staff in universities. The risk in amalgamation for current AUS general staff is that there may be pressure for their claims to be linked less with university academics and more closely with general staff in the wider tertiary sector.

I have drawn my own conclusions from these and many other arguments, have expressed my personal view about amalgamation in various contexts including the Canterbury Branch and the National Executive, and have cast my vote. In the current context, however, I have chosen to hold my own counsel on this matter rather than nailing my colours to the mast. This is because, notwithstanding my public reservations about the undue haste in this process, I think members should now be allowed to consider the arguments and form their own views. And frankly, I don’t see why my view should be worth any more than any other member’s view.

Emerge Strong and Positive

One of the most pressing challenges of the new National President, whoever it is, will be to ensure that the AUS emerges from the amalgamation decision in a strong and positive way. That is my primary orientation at present and I believe that I would be in a better position to meet this challenge if I am not perceived as being a strong advocate of either side of the amalgamation debate.

There are a number of potentially problematic scenarios that are possible after the current ballot closes:
• There may be a majority in support of amalgamation, but one that is insufficient to mandate such a radical change;
• There may be some campuses strongly in favour amalgamation and others strongly opposed to it;
• There may be an evenly spread and sufficient support all over the country, but also a sizeable minority (including many active members) who are so disaffected that they want to resign.
• And even if the vote is clearly yes, people may consider that a no vote from TIASA (which I believe is highly probable) would change the situation sufficiently to require ongoing consultation and negotiation.

In the event of a difficult scenario emerging, my commitment would be to find the best way for us to all move forward as a united and effective union.

As AUS National President, I would put my energy more into listening to members and less into lobbying them. The lobbying and advocacy I would like to focus on would be directed less at AUS members and more at government and the VCs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Equivocator

As far as I can see, David has deliberatley avoided answering the question whether or not he supports amalgamation and has, instead, raised questions about the process.

I have read the information on the AUS discussion group and the candidates’ websites, and the impression I have is that David says he does not want to express a view because, if elected, he will as national president, need to represent the democratic views of all.

I’m afraid that is a complete cop out. Does a candidate for election not express an opinion or view on the issues that will affect them if elected? Of course not. Do Helen Clark or John Key not express their positions on political issues? Of course they do. Is that not the fundamental of the democratic process?

Any credible candidate must have the integrity to nail their views to the mast. That does not mean, if elected, they will not act in the best interests of the union and act in a democratic manner.

I understand that David has been part of the AUS executive and has been involved in the process to date at a high level regarding this amalgamation. Why does he not take any responsibility but try and cast a slur on others?

I oppose amalgamation and will be voting against it. I will, however, be voting for Maureen Montgomery for president as she has been absolutely clear about her position. I may disagree with her, but she has my respect.

Dr David Small said...

Interesting comment, Anne.

Perhaps you could explain to readers of my blog and AUS members at large precisely how you will go about voting in either the amalgamation ballot or the presidential election when you are not a member of the AUS, nor an employee of the University of Waikato.

My initial reaction to this post was that it was advancing a pretty extreme and, frankly, bizarre position. Fancy arguing that candidates who choose not to parade their personal view on a matter (irrespective of their rationale, which I thought I'd outlined quite well) are, by this factor alone, so lacking in integrity that they should be discarded, even in favour of candidates pushing a position contrary to one's own.

By this logic, Anne would argue that voters who oppose tax cuts should vote for a party leader who will definitely cut taxes, in preference to a leader who thinks that there are other options to consider and hasn’t cut taxes yet, but might do so in certain circumstances. Yeah right!

My next response was bewilderment at the intemperate, even aggressive tone of the post. It seemed so inappropriate that I concluded that this person must be a person who is harbouring some sort of grudge against me. So I called Waikato University and, guess what, there is nobody called Anne Rogers who works there. There is an Annette Rogers who's been at Waikato for 13 years, is not a member of the AUS and would probably have heard of someone with (more or less) the same name as her.

So come on ‘Anne’, if you tell the readers of this blog and the wider AUS membership who you really are and why you pretended to be somebody else, I’ll happily continue to debate with you on matters of integrity and respect.