Friday, 15 June 2007

A crucial time ahead for the AUS

I view this as a very interesting time to serve as President of the AUS for three main reasons.

First, the university sector is coming to the business end of a process whereby institutions will be working with TEC to define themselves in terms of what they have in common with and what differentiates them from other universities. I would like the AUS to retain an active role in ensuring that the views of our members shape this process.

Secondly, the tripartite process, now in its second year, has been a significant achievement of the AUS in terms of advancing the interests of our members but also potentially contributing to the improvement of the university sector as a whole. I would like to review progress to date with the aim of building on this foundation so that the process can continue to deliver benefits to members.

Finally, I see potential for AUS members in a single union covering tertiary education. However, these gains will only be realised if we adopt an open and participatory process for deciding whether or not to amalgamate and, if so, what form any new union might take. I am committed to ensuring that the best possible process is followed.

Each of these three factors makes the term of the next AUS President a crucial time for advancing the interests of AUS members and enhancing the quality of the university sector within which we all work. I would welcome the opportunity to lead our union through this challenging time.

2 comments:

Shane Gallagher said...

Hi David,

I am really happy that you are running for National President and you will be getting my vote this year!

Good luck!

Shane Montague-Gallagher
Otago Branch President

Unknown said...

Hi David

Because you are willing to put yourself on the line when it comes to action you get my vote as well

Cheers

Neil Andrews
SBS
Canterbury